Do you have a daily motivation routine? Something that helps to set you up for success each day in reaching your health goals? It was Benjamin Franklin who said "If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail." There is definitely wisdom in these words.
The truth is, "winging it" - to do or try to do something without much practice - doesn't work for most people in achieving a happier, healthier lifestyle. Especially if you are struggling to stay on track, not having a daily, weekly and monthly plan can not only hinder your success but set you up for failure and you can find yourself in a vicious cycle of defeat, frustration and beating yourself up. Having set backs is part of life and the advantage of having a plan is it allows you to easily get back on track when you do stumble. It gives you a starting point to work from and allows you to track your progress.
The good news is God wants to see you prosper in all areas of your life and so do we! So commit to making a plan every day that will put you on the right track. Here are 5 success tips to help get you started. Be sure to add to this list and create a customized plan on what works best for you!
1. Lay out comfortable exercise clothes to change into each morning or to change into as soon as you get home. Being dressed in the right clothing makes a real difference. It's what experts call "enclothed cognition," which refers to a mental shift you experience when you wear certain clothes. If you are dressed to workout you are more likely to do so!
2. Write down your daily goals the night before. Did you know your brain actually functions better with ordered tasks? Psychologists have found that to-do lists are actually good for the brain. They can actually dampen anxiety, give us a plan that we can stick to and they are proof of what we have accomplished which helps to build our confidence.
3. Have an accountability partner or group to help give you that extra 'oomph' of encouragement and motivation to ditch excuses and get your workouts in especially when you are just getting started with a workout routine.
4. Have structured tools and resources that can quickly point you in the right direction and keep you on track. Spending time trying to figure out where to start can be overwhelming and lead to frustration. The Faithful Workout Kickstart plan and FW App includes a guided list of workouts, meal plans, menus and daily calendar with workout suggestions to help you make planning and reaching your goals so much easier. Learn more about our community and what we have to offer!
5. "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13 Do you take these words to heart friend? Do you truly believe these words? Paul wrote these words to the Philippian congregation he had established in Macedonia and he wrote these words while imprisoned by the Romans. If Paul can write these words while sitting in a Roman prison, being tortured and not knowing what his fate would be believing that with Christ he could find strength in his situation, I pray you can believe the Truth of these words too. Whatever struggles you are having in your health journey, with Christ you can overcome it!
Strive every day to set yourself up for success. Find a plan and routine that works for you. If you try something and it doesn't work, don't get discouraged. Keep trying and choose progress over perfection. The most important thing to remember is as long as you keep God at the center of your life and rely on Him for counsel and guidance, He will always lead you on the right path (Proverbs 3:5-6). Stay committed to your health and ask God to help you overcome the struggles you have been facing with reaching your goals. You are never in this alone. WITH Him, you've got this and we are here cheering you on!