- 3 cups chopped onions (about 2 large onions)
- 6 large boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed or minced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup gluten free or regular flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 6 ounces thick cut bacon or pancetta, diced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 (750-ml) bottles red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups chopped celery (about 1 large stalk)
- 6 to 8 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves pulled off
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chicken broth (gluten free broth option)
- 2 cups baby carrots
Cook bacon in a large frying pan. When it is just crispy remove it and set on paper towel to absorb excess grease. Add onions and celery to pan and stir. Cover and cook for 10 minutes and add carrots and garlic. If pan is dry add a few tablespoons of water and cover and cook for additional 10 minutes. Remove vegetables from pan and set is separate bowl.
Put flour, salt and pepper in a baggie and shake. Add chicken thighs and shake until thighs are coated. Add chicken to pan. If pan is dry add a tablespoon of olive oil. Cook until browned and flip. Cover pan and cook until browned on both sides.
Remove chicken from pan. Slowly pour 1 bottle of red wine. and 1 cup chicken broth to pan. While pouring use whisk to scrape up brown bits off bottom of pan. Bring wine and broth to boil and continue whisking until liquid is reduced by 1/3, about 10 minutes.
Add fresh thyme, bay leaf tomato paste and stir. Add chicken to pan and top with vegetables mixture. Turn heat to low and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes, cover and cook additional 10 minutes.
In a separate small pan heat 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil over medium heat.. Add mushrooms. Cook uncovered until mushrooms are browned and slightly softened. Stir mushrooms into chicken dish. Serve onto 6 plates and sprinkle with fresh thyme.