2 Eggplants (medium size)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1/3 cup
Tomato Puree or Crushed Tomatoes - large can
Spinach or baby kale - 2 cups packed
6 oz mozzarella (fresh or shredded)
Crushed red pepper 1 tsp (more if you like it spicy)
1 tsp dried oregano
Grated parmesan 1/2 cup
Fresh basil 1/2 cup
Directions for air fryer:
- Preheat air fryer (on the air fryer setting if you have a multi-use gadget) to 390 degrees for 5 minutes while you prep
- Slice the eggplant about 1/4 inch
- coat the slices of eggplant with olive oil - don't be afraid to be generous
- Once the air fryer is heated, place the slices in a single layer in the basket (you will need to do multiple batches so give yourself time)
- Set timer for 6-7 minutes at 390 degrees, check on the eggplant, flip over and give it 1-2 more minutes. Keep an eye on your eggplant because it will depend on thickness of slices.
- Put tomato sauce, oregano and red pepper in a saucepan and heat. Once simmering add spinach/kale and stir. Cook until wilted
- Spread a thin layer of your kale-tomato sauce on the bottom of a baking dish, then layer some eggplant so they overlap slightly. Add 1/2 of mozzarella and parmesan.
- Repeat with more eggplant, sauce and top with cheese
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly/melted. Top with some fresh chopped basil.
Directions for oven: same as above except cook
- Same as above except preheat oven to 400 and place eggplant on a cooking sheet in a single layer. Cook for 15 minutes and flip and cook additional 10 minutes.