- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces whole-wheat penne (or gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated pecorino romano or parmesan cheese (optional)
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs. Reserve 3/4 cup of the cooking water, then drain the pasta.
Meanwhile, trim the thick stems off the cauliflower and coarsely grate the florets on the large holes of a box grater (it's fine if some small florets remain whole). Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower, raisins, garlic, red pepper flakes and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is crisp-tender and slightly browned, about 4 minutes.
Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the pasta, parsley, lemon juice, cheese and 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking water. Season with salt.