Take a look at this recipe from Natural Grocers and compare it to the typical Canned Cranberry Sauce. What do you think will taste better and is better for you? Takes about 15 minutes to make it yourself and well worth the time!
- 12 oz. cranberries
- 2 oranges, zest and freshly juiced
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1 tsp. ginger (fresh) peeled
- Pinch of cinnamon
1. Mince the ginger and orange zest.
2. Put all the ingredients into a saucepan and cook uncovered for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the cranberries have burst.
3. For a smoother mixture, you can mash the mixture with the back of a spoon.
4. Remove from heat and add the honey and cinnamon. Stir and set aside to cool. Once the cranberry sauce reaches room temperature, cover and refrigerate. This can be made several days in advance.