Be sure to watch our Ecuadorian Cooking video to get the inside scoop on this recipe!
- 2 lbs. potatoes, cubed (try and use golden or russet potatoes). Leave the skins on
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp achiote oil (can substitute 1 tsp of normal oil with 1/4 tsp of paprika and 1/4 tsp of turmeric)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 cups milk
- Chicken or vegetable broth until desired thickness
Possible toppings for soup
- sliced up avocado
- a few sprigs of parsley
- a sprinkle of cheddar or Parmesan cheese
- a few sprinkles of spicy pepper
Put your cubed potatoes, onion and garlic into a pot with simmering water. Continue to simmer until your potatoes are cooked and tender. Then, into a blender, put in your potatoes, onion, and garlic mixture, and add in your milk with your achiote oil. Add in your cumin and your salt and blend. Don’t blend too much though--it's supposed to be thick! Add in some broth if the mixture is too thick.