You can pack this recipe full of veggies, feel free to make substitutions, even using less pasta and more veggies, creates an even healthier meal!
- 1/2 lb. dry pasta (cook according to package)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally
- 1 cup bite-size broccoli pieces
- 1 whole red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 4 ounces white mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced diagonally
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1/2 cup Vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine or white cooking wine (optional)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (use dairy free option if needed)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Optional: 1 cup diced fresh basil
For the vegetables: Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and cook, about 1 minute. Then add the broccoli and cook, about 1 additional minute. Add the red peppers, mushrooms and zucchini and cook about 5 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the skillet and set aside.
For the sauce: Add the garlic , onions, wine and broth to the skillet and cook over high heat. Bring to a low boil and then cook for an additional 5 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan and allow the cheese to melt. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
Add all the vegetables to the sauce along with the peas. Stir to combine. If the sauce needs a little more liquid, splash a small amount of broth as needed. Place the cooked pasta in a large serving bowl and pour all the contents of the skillet over the pasta. Toss to combine. Sprinkle with basil and serve.