- 1/4 cup shredded provolone cheese, preferably aged (dairy-free cheese is optional)
- 3 tablespoons chopped California Ripe Olives
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds total)
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs (or substitute gluten-free breadcrumbs)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet with olive oil.
Combine the provolone, olives, Dijon mustard and pepper in a small bowl.
Lightly beat the egg white with a fork in a medium bowl. Put the breadcrumbs on a plate. Cut a slit down the side of the chicken breast, nearly through to the opposite side. Open up each breast and place one-fourth of the cheese filling in the center. Close the breast over the filling, pressing the edges firmly together to seal. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts and filling. Hold each chicken breast half together and dip in egg white, then dredge in breadcrumbs. Heat oil over in a large nonstick skillet medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Transfer chicken to the prepared baking sheet, browned-side up, and bake approximately 20 min or until chicken is cooked through.
Serves about 4