- 1½ pounds ground beef or turkey (if possible buy the leanest option and grass-fed and for vegetarian option sub. with 1 cup diced zucchini & 1 cup diced carrots )
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red (cayenne) pepper – double this if you like it hot!
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (no BPA cans)
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (no BPA cans)
- 2 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice (no BPA cans)
- Optional toppings: grated cheese, low-fat plain yogurt, diced avocados, fresh cilantro
Place ground beef/turkey in a large pot. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, ground red pepper., onions, black and kidney beans and tomatoes. Stir and cook another 5 minutes. Turn to low heat and cover. Cook an additional 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls and add desired toppings.