If you don't like this recipe - jump in your car and go to the emergency room because you need to get your taste buds checked by a Dr.!! You can use shrimp, chicken. beef or keep it vegetarian. Gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free but FULL of flavor.
- 1 Cup Uncooked Rice
- 2 Cups Vegetable/Chicken Broth (amount may vary depending on the type of rice you are using. If gluten-free be sure to choose a gluten-free broth)
- 4 Large Poblano Peppers
- 1 Large Jalapeño Pepper (if you like it really spicy use 2 Jalapeños)
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 Large Red Pepper - Diced
- 4 Green Onions - Diced
- 2 Cups Slided Mushrooms
- 1 Pound Cooked Shrimp, Chicken, Beef or Tofu (cut into bite size pieces)
- 2 Tblsp Fresh Squeezed Lemon or Lime Juice
- 2 Tblsp Olive Oil
- 2 Cups Fresh Cilantro ( I cut off the bottom of the stems)
Cook rice according to direction but use broth in place of water. Preheat oven to 400°. Place poblano and jalapeño peppers on cookie sheet and put in oven. Cook approximately 10 minutes or until peppers are soft. Cut the stem off the top of the jalapeño pepper. Cut in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Dice into very small pieces. For poblano pepper leave stem on and carefully cut a slit in each pepper. Remove seeds. (the slit should run almost the length of the pepper so you can stuff it later). Place peppers to the side.
Put 1/4 cup water in a pan and add onions, peppers and mushrooms. Cook covered until soft. Drain any extra liquid when cooking process is finished. Add rice, 1/2 of the diced jalapeños and shrimp (chicken, meat, tofu) to pan, stir and remove from heat.
Add other 1/2 of diced jalapeño peppers, lemon or lime juice, cilantro and olive oil to blender. Blend until almost smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste
Stir 1/2 of sauce into the rice mixture. Stuff rice mixture into pepper. Drizzle remaining sauce over peppers.