- 1 small eggplant
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1 small onion
- 1 bell peppers (orange, red or yellow)
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or vegetable broth
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried oregano
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Cut eggplant into 1” cubes, place in colander and sprinkle with 2 tsp salt. Let drain in the sink.
- Cut onions, peppers, zucchini and yellow squash into 1/2” pieces.
- Pat the eggplant dry with a paper towel.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil + ¼ cup water over medium-high heat in a pan. Add the eggplant and 4 cloves minced garlic, cover and cook 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini, yellow squash, onions and peppers and cook uncovered for 4 minutes.
- Add wine, turn up heat and bring to a boil and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, bay leaf and oregano.
- Cover and cook over low heat for about 15 min.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaf. Stir in fresh basil just before serving.
Ratatouille will keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. If making it ahead do not add fresh basil until serving. You can freeze in air tight containers for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat on the stove.