This low carb dish is great for a large family, meal prep, or pot luck. To make this dish dairy free, you can leave out the cheese and top with fresh lettuce or guacamole.
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 8 green bell peppers
- 1 bag of shredded Mexican style 4 cheese (leave out for dairy free)
- 1 sweet onion (chopped)
- 15 oz. jar of salsa
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- Prepare bell peppers by washing, cutting off the cap on top, and cutting the seed bundle out of the middle. If you cut each side and twist the seed bundle, it comes out very easily. Make sure to wash the inside to get all of the seeds out.
- For charring the peppers, you can get the best results by grilling the peppers on high for about 5 minutes (or until you reach the desired char level). You may also broil them in your oven on high for 5 minutes on each side. Set peppers aside for later.
- Put ground beef in a skillet on medium heat. Mix in jar of salsa, onion, and all spices. Cover with a lid and simmer about 20 minutes (or until all meat is browned and fully cooked). For extra flavor, after meat is fully cooked, turn the heat down to low and allow meat to set for an additional 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sit peppers up on a cookie sheet. Spoon the meat mixture into each pepper all the way to the top.
- Sprinkle the desired amount of shredded cheese on top. (Leave out for non-dairy).
- Put the stuffed peppers in the oven for about 5 minutes (or until the cheese has melted).
- Great work! You are now ready to dig in!